Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 28, 2013

DR QUINN, MEDICINE WOMAN

This morning I was flicking through my local free to air digital TV channels when I came across a movie about a disabled boy being rejected by an entire small town!
He was mute, would not make eye contact, and was sad and withdrawn.
It looked like Asperger's Syndrome.
I found myself crying as I identified with his pain caused by unrelenting rejection and being constantly discounted by others.
The town's barber refused to cut his hair because, he said, his other customers did not want to be in the same room as an imbecile.
The only person supporting him was a woman I identified as actress Jane Seymour.
There was talk of sending the boy away and putting him into an institution, but then his father, the local publican, was found and he had another protector.
As with many aspies, the boy had a special gift - he was very good at drawing.
When the movie ended, it felt like there was hope for him in the future.
I wanted to know about this show.
Turned out to be a re-run of an old American TV series called Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman that was produced between 1993 and 1998.
The role Jane Seymour played was that a young single female doctor, Dr Quinn, who had moved to Colorado Springs from Boston to practise medicine there.
At first, she too was totally ostracised, like the disabled boy, because she was a woman.
The entire series appears to have been a study of prejudice in all its various forms.
There is more information about in on Wikipedia.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment